Naval Architect Career
Naval Architect Career Job Profile
Ocean engineers & naval architects are a type of engineers whose task is to perform activities such as construction, design, maintenance, repair of ships, marine vessels, & offshore structures. Other than the civilian vehicles, Naval architecture & Ocean engineering also deal with the construction, design & maintenance of defense operation vehicles, such as submarines, frigates, warships, destroyers etc.
Ocean engineering is quite a complicated & is a cooperative effort. A career as Maritime engineer includes developing, researching, inspecting & constructing waterborne transport and their component parts.
The duties of a naval architect or an ocean engineer would include preparing budgets, testing equipment, schedules and contracts, and also to compile reports for their peers, mostly contractors.
- Must possess a creative and logical mind.
- Should be inquisitive i.e have an inquiring mind.
- Ability to communicate well with peers and colleagues and senior officials, i.e Should have excellent communication skills, both written and speech.
- Should have the skill for sound judgment.
- Must be able to work well within a team set up, i.e good team working ability.
- Should have leadership qualities.
- Must be strong in Basic maths, Physics and science.
- Should be well acquainted with computer aided engineering software’s and other related design software’s.
- Should be quite flexible too.
- Problem solving skills are also important.
- One should be able to stay calm under pressure and deliver under tight deadlines.
- Must be able to handle complex information.
- Strong business and IT skills are also very essential.
- Analytical skills are also a worthy asset.
A naval architect or ocean engineer having a diploma course in Naval architecture or Ocean engineering can command a salary up-to 15,000 I NR. A Naval architect or Ocean engineer with an engineering degree ( four year course) can command a salary up to 25,000 I NR.
Till 2010, We had only two colleges that teach Naval architecture- I I T Kharagpur & I I T Madras. There has been some addition to the list. There is a steady demand for Naval architecture and ocean engineers in India, But we are still yet to make a big splash in this industry. There are many job opportunities in some of our neighbouring countries such as China, Singapore and also Korea
How Do I get there ?
- One needs to compulsorily opt for a 12th Science stream with Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics combination.
- One can pursue B.E/B.Tech in Naval Architecture Or Ocean engineering from any of the colleges offering the course.
- There is a written entrance test for entrance into the course
- Indian Navy would take in graduates from select branches of engineering and then train them in postgraduate courses from I IT, Delhi
- After completing of the diploma from II T Delhi, The naval architects are sent to the dockyards in Port Blair, Mumbai, Cochin, Vishakapatnam etc.
The above is the case for a job in Government sector i.e Indian Navy in this case. One can opt for a job in private companies too. Their selection criteria is different, but an engineering degree in select disciplines is necessary.