Veterinary Careers in Science covers the study of prevention and treatment of diseases in animals and birds and their Physiology. India has the largest population of Livestock with an estimated 50 crore heads, which is about 15% of the world’s population.
Veterinary Careers doctors deal with the treatment, care and handling of livestock, animals of the zoo, domestic pets, laboratory, sporting animals, etc.
The basic principles of Veterinary Careers in science may seem similar to human medical science, But it is far more complex than that as a Veterinary doctor may also handle scientific breeding and handling of livestock other than taking care of animal health.
Other than the general treatment of animals and birds, Veterinary doctors perform surgery, prevent spreading of diseases in animals by providing timely vaccination and medications of animals and birds and also to provide advice to the owners of pets and animals on their proper care and upbringing.
The approach taken by veterinary doctors depends on the animal. They perform their practise exclusively on either smaller animals like dogs, cats, birds, etc.or of larger animals such as sheep, horses, goats, etc.
They are also involved in animal husbandry i.e animal breed improvement by artificial insemination and selection breeding and animal research etc.
A Veterinary Careers doctor needs to be familiar with many breeds of livestock or pets and also the characteristics of each animal and breed so that they can recommend and advise on its diet, habitat, Dos and Don’ts, etc.
- As it is animals & birds we are dealing with here, A veterinary doctor must have great observational abilities.
- Ability to memorise and assimilate all that is taught, read & putting the permutations and combinations together to arrive at a diagnosis, since the patient is unable to speak.
- Must be very well organised, Good Organisational skills are very essential.
- Communication skills are also necessary, A veterinary doctor must be able to communicate in a timely manner with their peers and colleagues and also with the owners of farm animals and pets.
- A Veterinary doctor must have sufficient motor skills to be able to use diagnostic and scientific instrumentation and carry out surgery, general care & emergency treatment of all animals & birds.
- Good Teamworking abilities are also very vital.
- Problem solving & critical thinking skills are also very essential.
- Candidates must be able to formulate & test hypothesis.
- A Sociable personality is also vital for a Veterinary doctor.
- Animals and birds respond to empathy and they must be handled with care, Hence a Veterinary doctor must keep a warm temperament and be compassionate.
- A veterinary doctor must have sharp business acumen & can manage finances and other requirements needed to handle a veterinary clinic.
- A Veterinary doctor must have excellent time management skills.
- A Veterinary doctor must possess great manual dexterity.
The average salary of a Veterinarian varies from 10,000 INr to 50,000 INR a month in A government or private hospital or clinic. With years of experience at hand and all the relevant skills at hand, One can even open his/her own clinic where one can charge 200 INR to 1000 INR or more from a patient.
With the Largest livestock in the world, India has pretty large job opportunities for Veterinary doctors.
Veterinary science offers a huge number of avenues of work & demand for veterinary doctors has increased tremendously.
The various areas a veterinary doctor may find work in are
- Poultry farms.
- Dairy Farms.
- Race clubs.
- Govt. animal husbandry departments.
- Rabbit and sheep farms.
- Stud farms.
- Govt. veterinary clinics and hospitals.
- Private Veterinary hospitals and clinics.
- Wildlife Sanctuaries.
- Zoological Parks.
- Defence forces.
Besides these options for Veterinary Careers, One can take up research work in facilities such as ICAR and also take up private practise. Private practise requires plenty of experience and good expertise in the area of work.
How Do I get there ?
- The candidate must have passed his/ her 12th in science stream with Physics, chemistry and Biology combination to be eligible to join a Bachelor’s in Veterinary science and animal husbandry course.
- The duration of a Bachelor’s in Veterinary science and animal husbandry is four and half to five years, including the period of internship.
- Admission to veterinary colleges is through an entrance examination conducted by the respective universities.
- The Veterinary council of India conducts an entrance examination by the name of “All India Common Entrance Examination”.