Whereas most engineering disciplines apply skills to very specific areas, this study is applied in virtually every industry, like shortening queues at a theme park, streamlining an operating room, distributing products worldwide, and manufacturing cheaper and more reliable automobiles. Even though the term industrial engineering is originally applied to manufacturing, it has extended it’s service to similar fields like operations research, systems engineering, ergonomics and quality engineering.
Industrial engineers determine the most effective ways for an organization to use the basic factors of production people, machines, materials, information, and energy to make or process a product. Industrial engineers plan, design, implement, and manage integrated production and service delivery systems that assure performance, reliability, maintainability, schedule adherence, and cost control. Industrial engineering, perhaps more than any other engineering discipline, is involved with the human and organizational aspects of developing the desired system. Traditionally, industrial engineers have been involved in facilities and plant design, plant management, quality control, human factors engineering, and production engineering.
Large number of job opportunities in Automobile, Petroleum, Oil, Gas, Transport, Aircraft industries, Railways, etc. in India and Abroad.
Skills Required :
Personal skills : The individual should be creative, inquisitive, analytical, and detail-oriented, and able to work in a team and communicate well, both orally and in writing. A strong base in computer applications is an important element of the course, which facilitates component production, process planning, production planning, etc.
Eligibility & Admission Process :
To become a production and industrial engineer one needs to do at least BE Production and Industrial Engineering of four years duration. A candidate who have passed his / her 10+2 or equivalent with science as a subject is eligible for admission to the Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering. The method of selection include entrance test and interview. Some institutions offer admission on merit basis also. Industrial engineering is also taught as a special subject after BE mechanical / electrical.
- B M S College of Engineering, Bangalore (Karnataka).
- Anna University : College of Engineering, Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
- Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore (Karnataka).
- Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Bangalore (Karnataka).
- M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore (Karnataka).
- M.V.J. College of Engineering, Bangalore (Karnataka).
- R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore (Karnataka).
- Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur (Karnataka).
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore (Karnataka).
Job Prospects & Salaries :
Industrial Engineer gets jobs in all types of the industries. After the experience of some years, opportunities of self employment are available. They may join the private consultancy firms, R&D establishments of the big companies, and the technical sales managers. This is a long duration course so that industrial and production engineers may work with the entire engineering and manufacturing department in public and private sectors. Industry engineering contains maintenance, operations, work study, production planning and the control, value engineering, materials management, network models like p e r t (Program Evaluation and Review Technique), c p m (Critical Path Method), computer science, operations research, statistical quality control and financial Management.
Those engineers, who choose to work in the private sector, negotiate their terms and conditions with the management themselves. Most fresh engineers start at Rs 5,000 to Rs 7,000 per month, with allowances. Those that go on to add a management degree in addition to engineering can command salaries of Rs 10,000 to Rs 40,000 per month.
In the government sector,
- The salary scale for engineers starts at Rs 1,640 – Rs 2,900 for Junior Engineers.
- The basic scale for Assistant Engineers is Rs 2,000 – Rs 3,500. Assistant Executive Engineers draw salaries in the range of Rs 2,200-Rs 4,000.
- Executive Engineers get Rs 3,000-Rs 4,500.
- while Superintendent Engineers receive salaries in the range of Rs 4,000-Rs 6,000.