Careers in Law
The course of LAW in time
Decades ago, before Independence, to become a lawyer / barrister was the dream of every student. It continued for many years till the 70’s. Later the choice shifted towards Medicine, Civil Services, Computers, etc.. But still a Lawyer or a Judge is held in high esteem in our society. The respect, honor & prestige they get is unique in itself. The increasing population, crime, employment, business, financial transactions, etc.. have increased the involvement of legal system into our day to day life.
Each one of us has to encounter with the legal system at least once in life time.
So.. this article presents an overview of Careers in Law.
Today this career is for those who think “differently”. Every year lakhs of students apply for admissions to reputed Law Colleges (listed below) but only a few ( 200-300 ) get selected. Why ? Its because the lucrative salaries, honor & prestige have attracted the best of the brains, making it a tough competition. In the legal Profession today, lawyers who specialize in 2 or 3 laws are going great. There is no end to private practice. The queue of clients is never ending. There is silver lining on every cloud.
To be a good lawyer one must have
1. Intelligence, good logical & analytical skills to deal the variety of cases & its complications.
2. A good memory to remember and relate the past facts.
3. Good understanding of laws & its implementation whenever & wherever applicable.
4. One must have keen interest in reading Law Books & Journals to update with the latest rulings.
5. Ability to extract information from all available resources as well as clients & its utilization.
6. Keen interest, confidence & clarity of thought when dealing with clients & judiciary.
Some Imporant Branches of Law
1. Criminal Law
2. Property Law
3. Cyber Law
4. Marriage Law
5. Taxation & Labour Law
6. Excise Law, etc..
5 year - Integrated course - BA LLB / BSc LLB / BPSc LLB
3 year - Bachelor of Law ( LLB ), Bachelor of General Laws ( BGL )
2 year – Masters of Laws ( LLM ), Master of Comparative Laws ( MCL )
Doctor in Law ( LLD )
For Bachelor’s courses : Atleast 50 % in +12.
For Master’s courses : Passed graduation in Law with atleast 50 %
For 5 year Integrated courses : Atleast 50 % in +12.
Reputed Law Institutions in India
1. National Law School of India University ( NLSIU ), Bangalore.
2. National Academy of Legal Studies and Research University of Law ( NALSAR), Hyderabad.
3. National Law University ( NLU ), Jodhpur.
4. National Law Institute University ( NLIU ), Bhopal.
5. West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences ( NUJS ), Kolkata.
6. The Indian Law Institute ( NLI ), New Delhi.
Note : These are the colleges which conduct entrance tests & take admissions on merit basis only. They have excellent placements every year. These institutes produce India’s “ The Best Lawyers ”.
The following list gives the various courses in Law conducted through correspondence.
1. NLSIU Bangalore offers Master’s in Business Law ( MBL ), Diploma in Human rights Law, Environmental Law, Intellectual Property Law, Ethics & Medicine.
2. Indian Institute of Taxation, Trivandrum offers 1yr Diploma in Tax laws.
3. Kuvempu University, Shimoga, Karnataka offers LLM course.
4. National Law University, Jodhpur offers Masters in Trade law and Masters in Criminal Law & forensic science.
We have heard the funny punch line “ Qanoon ke haath lambe hote hai ”, Similarly “ Qanoon me Career bhi lamba hota hai ”. This is one of the careers in which a person never retires even after 60 years. ( except when recruited by the Government )
The major areas of employment are as follows.
1. Indian Legal Service : Law graduates can take up UPSC exams to join the Indian Legal service as Law Officers, Assitant Advisors, Legal Advisors, Deputy Advisor, Legal Assistant ,etc..
2. State Public Service Commission Exams : All states conduct public service exams to recruit lawyers for various posts like Magistrate, Munsif, Sub- Magistrate, Public Prosecutor, Legal Secretaries to Assemblies, Law Inspectors, Assistant Government Advocate, etc..
3. Private Sector : There are several companies and organizations which recruit lawyers specialized in Taxation & labour laws, Company Law, Investment & Security Law, Corporate Law, Patent Laws, etc. This is a potential domain for great money since every major organization or company decides its policies after due consultation with its Lawyers.
4. Other Sectors : Many openings exist pertaining to different specializations of Law in public enterprises, Railways, Labour Courts, Tribunals, Banks, political advising, defense , freelance journalism, etc. A successful lawyer can also write journals, legal commentaries, offer online legal advice, Legal issues columnist for Newspapers, etc..
5. Private Practice : A non-retirement job. Once a lawyer registers with the Bar Council of India, he/she can begin independent practice. The clients could be individuals or companies. Being specialized in atleast 2 or 3 sectors like criminal law, civil law & tax laws, a lawyer can gain good practice & earn more. Sky is the limit once you gain reputation.
Admissions Notifications of India’sPremier Institutes
Students passed +12 with 50% marks as well as those appearing for +12 exams in April 2005 can apply.
National Law School of India University ( NLSIU ), Bangalore.
Courses : 5 year Integrated B.A.LL.B.(Hons.) & 2 year Master’s in Law ( LLM)
Last date to apply : 15th March 2005.
Entrance Test Date : 1st May 2005.
For details visit : www.nls.ac.in.
National Academy of Legal Studies and Research University of Law ( NALSAR), Hyderabad.
Course : 5 year Integrated B.A.LL.B.(Hons.)
Last date to apply : 12th April 2005.
Entrance Test Date : 15th May 2005.
For details visit : www.nalsarlawuniv.org.
National Law University ( NLU), Jodhpur.
Courses : 5 year Integrated BBA LLB / BPSc LLB / BSc LLB
Last date to apply : 31st March 2005.
Entrance Test Date : 7th May 2005.
For details visit : www.nlujodhpur.ac.in
Originally Written by Mr. Ameen-E-Mudassar for the Milli Gazette, Dated On 14 February 2005
Find the Right Career ! Right Course !
Get Personel Career Counselling & Career Plan from
India's Leading Career Counsellor since 2007
Face-To-Face Counselling @ Bangalore
Counselling Over Phone
Counselling Over SKYPE
CALL : 080-41554225 or 9241 778866 for Appointment
and more details