Homoeopathic Medicine About Homeopathy
Homeopothy has its roots in Germany !, it was started by the German Physician Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843), who set up the first homeopathic medical college in America in 1836 and today is practiced world wide. Homeopathy is a holistic method of treatment, where a patient is given treatment rather than the illness he has. This shows that Homeopathy recognizes the human being as a whole. The Homeopathy medicine is quite different from other systems of medicine. Its based on the principle of “like cures like”. Homeopathy goes into the details of patient’s history and then starts their treatment; the procedure is slow but removes the disease from its roots. Homeopathy is also popular because people believe that it has less side effects and its affordable by both the rich and poor.
Today Homeopathy is the most widely practised of all traditional medical systems in India. Homoeopathy in India enjoys Government support along with the other systems of medicine because Government is of the view that presence of all these complementary alternative systems of therapeutics offers a much wider spectrum of curative medicine than is available in any other country. In the United States the homeopathic drug market is a multimillion-dollar industry.
- A liking for service with cool & calm mind.
- Deep understanding of human beings and their behaviour.
- A scientific bent of mind with the urge to do R&D.
- Self confidence, Self motivation & willingness to work hard.
- Good communication & Interpersonal skills to handle patients.
- Knowledge of a foreign language ( For Eg : German) will be an added advantage
- If you wish to work abroad since Homeopathy is recognized worldwide.
- DHMS (Diploma in Homeopathy Medicine & Surgery)
Duration : Main Course- 4 years plus 1 year Internship.
- B.H.M.S.(Bachelor of Homeopathy Medicine & Surgery)
Duration : Main Course- 51/2 years or 6 years including Internship.
Eligiblity : Pass (atleast 50% ) in 12th std with Physics, Chemistry & Biology as optionals.
Subjects studied in BHMS
- Homoeopathy Pharmacy.
- Anatomy & Physiology.
- Homoeopathic Materia Medica.
- Organon of Medicine and Principles of Homoeopathic Philosophy & Psychology.
- Pathology, Bacteriology and Parasitology.
- Forensic Medicine and Toxicology.
- Preventive, Social Medicine and Family Welfare.
- Surgery including Homoeopathic Therapeutics.
- Obstetrics Gynaecology and Infant Hygiene.
- Community Medicine.
- Medicine including Homoeopathic Therapeutics.
- Homoeopathic Repertory.
MD – Homeopathy.
After successful completion of BHMS, one can pursue 3 year MD in Homeopathy in the following areas of specialization
- Organon of Medicine with Homoeopathic Philosophy.
- Homoeopathic Pharmacy.
- Practices of Medicine.
Homoeopathic Medicine Online courses
Many online courses are offered by Universities in United States. For more details, kindly search on the internet.
- Govt. Homoeopathic Medical College, Magadi Main Road, Bangalore -560040.
- A.M.Shaikh Homoeopathic Medical College, Nehru Nagar, Belgaum – 590010.
- Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College, B-Block, Defence Colony, New Delhi – 24.
- The Calcutta Homoeopathic Medical College, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road, Kolkatta -700009.
- National Institute of Homoeopathy, Block-GE, Sector III, Salt Lake, Kolkatta -700101
- State National Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, 1, Viraj Khand, Gomati Nagar, Lucknow – 226001
A good homeopath Homoeopathic Medicine can get many opportunities after successful completion of graduation. Opportunities are aplenty, a few are….
- Medical officer/ doctor at Government and private Ayurvedic hospitals.
- Enter private practice after enough experience under senior practitioners.
- Health care practitioner at a wellness center, clubs, massage centers, etc..
- Private Teaching – Colleges or Public Education classes.
- Work with medicine manufacturing companies.
- Opportunities to work with patients in India & Abroad (especially US).
Originally Written by Mr. Ameen-E-Mudassar for the Milli Gazette, Dated On 1 April 2006.