Horticulture Career basically deals with cultivation of fruits, vegetables, nuts & ornamental.
Horticulture Career can be divided into four main branches.
- Fruit & Vegetable Preservation.
- Designs, installs & maintains annual & perennial beds, grass, shrubbery & trees.
- Supervises & directs grounds personnel by establishing schedules,assigning tasks, monitoring & reviewing projects to ensure deadlines & quality standards are met.
- Applies pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers complying with state and federal guidelines.
- Records the application of pesticides & maintains a record of the chemicals store in the facility.
- Plans unit activities & decides priorities; assists in implementing policies & procedures & enforcing rules & regulations.
- Coordinates the activities between the maintenance & grounds departments.
- Ensures that the department is in compliance with the regulations concerning chemicals stored at the facility.
- Confers with others in the industry about new plants & ideas.
- Maintains the cleanliness of assigned areas by mechanical or manual hand methods.
- Excellent knowledge about the flora world and also about basic biology.
- Knowledge of equipment & tools in landscape design maintenance.
- Knowledge about all rules, laws & regulations that govern the area under a Horticulturist’s responsibility.
- Knowledge about the proper & efficient method for using Fertilizers & pesticides.
- Must be able to manage time methods and techniques.
- Excellent communication skills, Both oral & written.
- To be able to identify unsafe conditions & to take respective actions.
- Must have knowledge about all the supervisory techniques & principles.
- Theoretical & practical knowledge of entomology, botany, ornamental horticulture.Ability to deal with public effectively.
Must be well acquainted with all the related Horticulture Career equipment’s such as.
- Weed eater.
- Power fertilizer spreader.
- Sod cutter.
- Chemical sprayer.
Must have the innate ability to work well in a team set up.
- An assistant Horticulture inspector, whether appointed by the state or central governments, command a salary of 7,000 I NR and the base salary can reach up to 17,000 I NR, after relevant experience.
- Horticulture scientists may charge a pay of 18,00 I NR to 25,000 I NR.
- District Horticulture commands a pay of above 20,000 I NR.
The different avenues available for a Horticulture Career to work in, are
- Industry support.
- Landscape design.
- Pest Management
- Production & Sales.
- Public gardens.
- Landscape construction & Management.
Horticulture Career is an intensely diversified field. There are immense job opportunities in this field in India, as India has this vast flora and fauna.
Horticulturists & landscapers are employed in
- health farms in order to decorate their settings.
The Postgraduate horticulturists / Horticulture Career can work as engineers, researcher, distributor, supervisor etc.
How Do i get there ?
The following colleges / Universities offer course on Horticulture.
- Kerala Agricultural University.
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth.
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharward.
- Annamalai University.
- Allahabad Agricultural Institute, Allahabad.
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur.
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
- Calcutta University, Kolkata.
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University.
One can pass 12th science stream with combination Physics, Chemistry, Maths / Architecture / Biology can opt for a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture separately or as a subject within B.Sc Agriculture science.
Horticulture course includes numerous subject areas.
- Crop nutrition.
- Economics & business.
- Crop production.
- Post harvest handling.
- Plant propagation.
- Plant materials.
- Tissue culture.
- Plant breeding.
- Pollination management.