Agriculture contributes for about 20% of Gross Domestic Product. Around 62% of the total Indian population is related to Agriculture professionally.
Agricultural Careers is the study of Agriculture. It is a multidisciplinary field which
The four broad areas within Agricultural Science are
- Plant Science.
- Animal Science.
- Soil Science.
- Food Science.
Agricultural Careers is the mainstay of our economy. It provides food to a billion people and raw materials of the industry. India also has an enormous potential as an exporter of Agricultural commodities.
Job Profile Major career areas in Agricultural field are
- Agro Industry.
- Agricultural Research.
- Agricultural Education.
- Agricultural Journalism.
- Services in Agriculture.
- Agricultural engineering.
Career in Agricultural Science professionals specialize in agricultural livestock and production. They play an important role in nation’s food supply.
Agricultural Science professionals perform tasks such as
- Research & development on production techniques.
- Transformation of primary products into end customer products.
- Prevention and correction of Adversities.
- Improving agricultural productivity in terms of quality and quantity.
- Developing more cost efficient ways of producing agricultural products by researching & experimenting animal reproduction, plant yields, farm management and nutrition.
- Improving crop yield with less labour.
- Controlling weeds and pest more effectively & safely.
Some of the roles one can enact in the field of agriculture are
- Sales representative.
- Agricultural Economists.
- Finance managers.
- Marketing specialists.
- Merchandising Specialists.
- Commodity traders.
- Must be able to exhibit strong verbal & written communication skills.
- Data analysis skills are also very important as an agriculture science professional.
- Collects data using a variety of methods and performs analysis on them to derive the relevant information.
- Group management skills are also essential.
- One will have a variety of tasks and responsibilities at hand at a given time. Hence Good Organisational skills are also very useful for an agriculture science professional.
- Basic business and Marketing strategies are also very important. As Agriculture is a very big business in India.
- Ability to use latest technological advancements in the field of agriculture.
- Must have problem solving abilities.
- Critical thinking skills are also quite useful.
- Should possess an analytical mind.
- Must have Good Observational skills.
- Must have a good grasp on Mathematics.
- The salary package of an agriculture science professional depends upon the college or institution from which he/ she graduated. From years of experience of Academic qualification and skills of the employee.
- A Fresh graduate in Government sector may command a salary package of 9,000 I NR or upwards.
- Agricultural scientists may command a salary of 18,000 I NR to 25,000 I NR a month.
Career in Agricultural Science as an enormous and ever expanding field. The agriculture industry provides a number of career options to agriculture professionals. Most of the career in this field are science or business related.
Graduates in agricultural science can be employed as Agricultural managers/ inspectors. In farm related organisations, fields, agro industries, food processing units, dairy fields, breeding centers and NGOs. Entrepreneurship in this field can be very beneficial financially. With well salaried jobs in various Private and Govt. sectors.