Anesthesiology Career / Anesthesiologist is a medical doctor who is skilled in usage and dosage of Anesthesia. Professionals in the field observe the effects of local or general anesthesia on the patient. Physicians who control the doses of Anesthesia in a patient before and after a surgery is performed are known as Anesthesiologists.
Anesthesiology Career Job Profile
The role of an anesthesiologist is very crucial during surgeries or similar procedures. Since any allergic reaction may arise from the patient’s body due to the use of Anesthesia. Anesthesia is a very complex substance.
An Anesthesiologist forms a vital part of any surgical team. It’s difficult to imagine a surgery being performed without the presence of an anesthesiologist. An Anesthesiologist’s duty is to keep a vigilant eye on the breathing rate, blood pressure & heart rate of the patient, so that the doctor can focus completely on the surgery. The Anesthesiologist’s role extends far beyond the operation theatre.
Anesthesiologist’s first interaction with the patient is before the operation is performed. In a preoperative interview, where he/ she reviews the patient’s medical history & medications. Then he/ she comes up with the best suitable application of anesthesia on the respective patient. His/ her role extends after the operation has been performed when the patient is to be brought back to the senses.
- Extreme attention to detail is the most important skill set for an anesthesiologist.
- Personal motivation is also very necessary attribute.
- An Anesthesiologist must have very strong observational skills and quick to gauge changes and quick to respond to them.
- Emotional stability and congenial bedside manners are also a big bonus.
- Must be able to work well within a team set up, i.e Good teamworking skills.
- Must have a sound knowledge regarding use and dosage of anesthesia.
- Must be able to make correct judgments.
- Should possess an analytical mind.
- Should be highly intellectual.
- Critical problem solving skills are also important.
- Must be very well organized, Good organisational skills are vital.
- They mostly work in stressful situations, hence must be able to work well under pressure.
- Career in Anesthesiology Must be able to come to conclusions and make good decisions quickly.
- Dexterity i.e Good motor skills are also very important in Career in Anesthesiology profession.
- Must be a very good listener and should be able to extract necessary information and data required to perform anesthesia Career in Anesthesiology.
- In India, an entry level Anesthesiologist may command a pay scale of about 20,000 INR to 30,000 INR a month.
- Generally, Pay is way more in corporate and private hospitals than in Government hospitals.
Career in Anesthesiology opportunities for an Anesthesiologist are aplenty, since every hospital would require a dedicated team of anesthesiologists.