In Bodyguard Career Dangerous situations are something you’ll need to recognize and react quickly to in this job. You’d also need to be able to stay calm under pressure. To do this job you must be at least 18 years old and hold a close protection licence, issued by the Security Industry Authority (S I A). A driving licence is essential.
Bodyguard Career Job Profile
As a Bodyguard Career, or close protection officer (CPO), your client or ‘principal’ could include celebrities, public figures, the royal family or heads of industry. You may be working as part of a larger close protection team with other CPO s and professional drivers or offering your services as an individual.
Your work would typically include:
- protecting clients from threats, for example from terrorists, political opponents, stalkers or over-enthusiastic fans.
- checking out premises before clients arrive.
- planning and research to identify and prevent potential threat or disruption.
- staying constantly alert to react to threatening situations.
- accompanying clients on business and social visits.
- driving clients to and from venues.
You could work in high or low risk environments. This will depend on where you are working and who you are protecting. For example, in a high risk environment. In a low risk environment your principal may be a celebrity who needs protection from over-eager fans.
You could specialize in a particular area, such as residential security or defensive and evasive driving techniques.
- Functional intelligence.
- Excellent physical fitness and good communication skills.
- Good team player.
- Ability to endure tough working conditions in inhospitable terrain.
How do I get there?
A Bodyguard Career does not necessarily have to be a “pehelwan” (wrestler), says Kunwar Vikram Singh, chairman, Central Association of Private Security Industry. India and chairman, Security Knowledge and Skill Development Council (S K S D C), set up by the central government to start courses. Educationally, an aspirant should have a 10+2 or a bachelor’s degree, with good soft skills. “We are trying to attract boys and girls with B or C certificates of the N C C,” says Singh. However, you should be well trained in self-defense, martial arts, close combat and security procedures. Having a defense background always helps in getting better job.