Career as a Teacher
Career as a Teacher are not only groom their students to excel in the chosen field, but also to imbibe a sense of responsibility in their scholars, as citizens of the country. It is a career option which has multiple specializations. The candidate choose Career as a Teacher in nursery schools, Secondary and Primary schools, HIgher secondary schools, Institutions, colleges, Universities, Tutorials, etc.
Teachers have always been regarded highly in our society, holding a place of pride in Indian Milieus and ethos. Since time immemorial, Teachers have always played the role of a catalyst for social changes in society.
On the basic level, A teacher’s job profile would include
- Planning, preparing & delivering lessons to all students in the class.
- Teaching according to the educational needs, to make the subject clear and to answer every query asked by the student.
- Teaching according to the abilities and achievements of the individual students and groups of students.
- Checking and assessing student’s work.
- Monitoring playground and extra curricular activities in secondary and primary school level.
- Promoting the general progress & well being of individual students, groups of students or class entrusted to him / her.
- Registering and monitoring the attendance of students under one’s care.
- Assigning work, correcting & marking work carried out by his / her students.
- Reviewing & evaluating one’s own teaching strategies and improving upon it.
- Cognitive skills – Teachers must be able to learn, select, understand, & use teaching strategies appropriate to the level of intellectual ability of the students.
- Since the main duty in Career as a Teacher is to explain the subject and make the students understand the subject and get a better grasp on the topic and subject in general.
- Strong Classroom management is very essential for a Teacher for smooth and efficient learning of the students.
- Since a Teacher would be having multiple tasks at hand and at times many subjects and classes simultaneously, He/ she should be very well organized.
- A teacher must be open for discussions, friendly, easily accessible and social.
- A Teacher must come fully prepared to the class and must be clear about the topic under discussion that day.
- A Teacher must not possess a hot temperament.
- With the introduction of Technology in education, A Teacher these days must be tech savvy.
- Patience, High tolerance are qualities which would help a teacher in the long run
- A Teacher must possess Leadership qualities, as a teacher’s duty is to guide the students well
- A Teacher would have a wide variety of support staff and to work together as a team is important, Hence Teamworking skills are also essential.
- A Teacher himself/ herself needs to be a constant learner and imbibe that knowledge into the students.
- A teacher must know how to adapt the lesson according to the student’s capability, so that all the students learn optimally.
A Teacher in India may be employed in one of the following types of School or institution –
- Play schools.
- Nursery schools.
- Primary/elementary schools.
- Secondary schools.
- Colleges/ Universities.
- Educational research institutes.
- Starting one’s own tutorials and coaching institutes.
- Special schools- it deals with children having physical and mental handicap and learning disabilities.
There are abundant job opportunities for Career as a Teacher in India, being the second most populous country in India, and We have a huge scope here for Teachers.
As far as Teaching field goes, Career as a Teacher have far better prospects in Government owned schools & colleges, A central school primary or secondary teacher may command a salary package of 20,000 INR to 25,000 INR a month.
On the other hand, Private schools may offer a salary package of 8,000 INR to 15,000 INR a month depending upon the school, city and location of the school.
A Career as a Teacher may earn higher packages by teaching in colleges, Government grade teachers may earn anywhere between 12,400 INR to 22,400 INR a month.
How Do I get There ?
- The eligibility criteria depends upon the type of school one is employed in.
- To be able to Teach in a Nursery school – Minimum qualification is 10+2
- For employment in Middle school as a Teacher – Minimum Qualification is 10+2, and The candidate must have passed Teachers Training Certificate (TTC) or its equivalent.
- For High Schools – Minimum Qualification is Graduation,. Most compulsorily require a Bachelor in Education (B.Ed)
- For Colleges / Universities- Post graduate degree is required, One needs to also qualify the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the UGC.