Career in Rural Management
Off late, Rural management has become one of the most sought after subjects to study & research at postgraduate level to pursue a booming & bright career.
Rural Management is a discipline where the activities involved range as Organizing, Planning, Controlling and directing various agri-businesses and cooperative fields are executed.
Rural management course equips a candidate with required expertise & skills in the related field to manage rural resources effectively and efficiently.
Career in Rural Management Job Profile
- The Main work of a Rural Manager is to systematically plan & execute rural development programs and find out the ways of sustainability & profitability of organizations in order to develop the lives of people in rural areas.
- A Rural manager would usually work for an NGO or any non-profit organisation or even independently to carry out the tasks assigned to him.
- As a Rural Manager, One would be working very closely with people and One has to understand their problems, respect their ethos, understand their culture and their need for development.
- A Rural manager’s task is to devise and implement methodologies to empower them with the know-how of managing small scale enterprises, mostly confined within a household.
- A Rural manager would perform research on rural systems of livelihood & identify areas where the system needs intervention or improvement.
- The Rural manager would decide how to sustain these developmental efforts & the ways to expand and improve. Whether an N GO would address the problems or should a cooperative be set up with the government’s intervention.
- The job profile of a Rural manager is fast changing and soon they will also be using Information technology. Rural computerization programs would be using modern technologies like IT for their efficient operation.
- The most exciting part of the job is that this is a noble profession , working towards the empowerment of people in rural areas, helping them improve their lives and lead a more happier lifestyle. It’s a humanitarian work and one would be working extensively for the development and growth of rural areas
Career in Rural Management Skills Required
- The candidate must be emphatic towards the rural folks and their problems
- He/ she should be enthusiastic about working towards the betterment of the people residing and facing the issues in rural areas.
- He/ She should possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be a good listener to be able to listen adeptly to the problems and issues faced by the rural folks.
- Must be very well organised, since a rural manager may be dealing with multiple issues at a time
- Should have an analytical mind
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills are also important
- Should be outgoing, friendly, respectful and should be caring towards the rural people.
- Ability to handle masses
- Be able to handle pressure and work under tight deadlines
- Must possess leadership qualities
- Must be tech savvy in order to use modern technologies to help the rural people
- Ability to persuade & convince people
- Must possess qualities such as suave, dynamic, tactful and diplomatic
- Must be able to adapt to difficult and unfavorable conditions of rural life
- Should possess strong reasoning aptitude
- Must have a positive and optimistic outlook towards the development of rural areas
- Since this profession is more humanitarian and one operates through a rural setting, The salary packages are not so lucrative. A fresh rural management graduate may get paid anywhere between 8,000 INR to 15,000 INR a month.
- With fair amount of experience and expertise, One will stand to earn fairer salary packages.
The job prospects for a rural management student are exciting as well as challenging. They are employed in all functional areas such as
- Project implementation.
- Human resource.
- General management.
- Systems, etc.
Rural managers can work as
- Policy makers.
- Researchers & consultants working with public and private companies.
How Do I get there ?
The various courses offered by colleges/ Universities in India are
- Bachelor of Rural Technology & development.
- Master of Rural development management.
- MBA – Rural Management.
- MA – Rural Industries Management.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Management.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Finance.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Marketing.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Development.
- Fellow Program in Rural Management.
One must have passed his / her 12th in Any stream with a minimum of 50% score.