Food Technology Career
Food Technology Career since India happens to be one of the largest producer and consumer of food items and products, The need for safe, healthy food has increased significantly and hence the need to preserve and process food products has become very essential. Food Processing industry is one of the most technologically oriented industries within the food sector. New advancements in food processing are seen every now and then.
We also happen to see immense use of ready-to-eat foods and processed and canned foods by the consumers these days, which in turn has brought in the need for significant amount of research and innovation in the methods to preserve & process foods.
Food Processing industry is a comparatively wide field, comprising of various processes in Food Technology Career
- Primary & Secondary processing.
- Quality management.
It also encompasses labeling of various food products for Food Technology Career
- Confectionery products.
- Dairy products.
- Fruit & vegetable products.
- Food grains.
- Meat & Poultry products.
- Fish products.
A Food Technologist’s work profile \ Food Technology Career includes
- Processing techniques.
- Quality analysis of raw materials.
- Health & hygiene parameters.
- Packaging standards & methodology.
- Methodologies to extract useful byproducts from industrial and natural waste.
- Storage & food value.
The Government has set many food standards and regulations and A food technologist needs to keep knowledge of it and be updated. The food is supposed to be processed, packaged, preserved & stored according to these standards.
The various tasks that a food technologist may find himself involved in are
- To supervise the cleaning and hygiene of the machinery used in various departments of food industry.
- To develop new food standards and to adhere oneself to the one’s set already.
- To devise new and improved techniques for food processing, packaging and storage.
- To make sure the quality of the food product remains intact while going through all different processes.
- To check the texture, taste, ingredients, color of the various food products and to make sure it adheres to the government standards.
- To take into account the basic and applied research related to various aspects such as food deterioration, food processing, packaging, storage, delivery of food items, food preservation, etc.
- Good problem solving skills.
- To be accurate in all the calculations & findings.
- Must have a keen sense of observation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Should be able to work efficiently within a team.
- To be able to enjoy scientific research and activities.
- Must have an inquisitive mind.
- Should have sound knowledge about all basic foods and their contents.
- Good Mathematical skills.
- Flair for using science & technology in one’s work.
- Must be able to take initiative.
- A flexible approach towards work.
- Should be able to effectively manage one’s time.
- Since a food technologist has his/ her hands full with multiple tasks, He/ she needs to inhabit good organisational skills.
- To have sound knowledge and updated to latest food trends & research.
- Should have good leadership qualities.
With packaged and processed foods present in every mart, shop and stall. The demand for Food technologists is more than ever before. People getting more and more aware about what they’re eating, the ingredients, the nutritional value of it, etc.
A Food technologist / Food Technology Career may find work in
- Research laboratories.
- Confectionery companies.
- Beverage makers.
- Food manufacturing industries & distilleries.
- Food processing industries.
- Hospitality industry.
- Food Packaging industries.
- Meat processing industry.
- Dairy industry.
- Seafood processing industry.
- Cereal processing industry.
- Fast food makers, etc.
The Various Positions available for a food technologist / Food Technology Career are
- Laboratory supervisors/ Technicians.
- Food Packaging managers/ Technologists.
- Research scientist.
- Production Development managers/ Technologists.
- Lecturers/ Advisers.
- Quality assurance supervisors/ managers.
- Production supervisors/ managers.
Food Technologists / Food Technology Career majorly work in both public & private sectors. The Public sector companies are mostly food corporations for setting up of food standards & regulations and also to test the various food products to check whether they adhere to the various regulations and also normal tests to check whether a food item is consumable for the general public for Food Technology Career.
India is the largest food processor in the world and on the Fifth place in consumption, production, import & export of food products.
- The Pay scales for a food technologist varies from Public sector to Private sector.
- The average salary or a food technologist varies from 8,000 INR to 12,000 INR per month.
- A fresher B.Tech (Food technology) can command anywhere between 2.5 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs per year.
How Do I get there ?
The various courses one can do after their 12th science stream are
- B.Sc Food science, Nutrition, food quality control.
- B.Tech Food Technology.
- B.E Food technology.
- B.Sc food technology.
- B.Sc Food science & Quality control.
- M.E /M.Tech Food Technology.
- M.Sc Food technology.
- PhD Food Technology.
- B.Sc food preservation.
- B.Sc food & nutrition.
The eligibility criteria for undergraduate courses is passing of 12th science stream.
The eligibility criteria for post graduate courses is graduating from any bachelors in Food Technology Career or related science degree.