Navy Officer Career
- Indian Navy is the fifth largest Navy in the world.
- The Ezhimala Naval academy, Kerala is the largest of its kind.
- The Head of Indian Navy is Chief of Naval staff.
His / her subordinates for Navy Officer Career are –
- Deputy Chief of Naval staff.
- Chief of personnel.
- Chief of material.
- Vice chief of Naval staff.
- Controller of logistics support.
The numerical order is not according to the superiority over one another.
Navy Officer Career Job Profile
An Indian Naval officer would take on the responsibility of using the latest available technology related to one’s designation and also commanding his men. The available technology equipment can be aboard ships, submarines or Aircraft carriers.
The Indian Navy would provide immense opportunities from flying an aircraft, to being in-charge of the ship to taking the responsibility of an individual ship establishment/ department.
The Men in white are always high in spirits as the job offers financial security, emotional stability, status in society and Job satisfaction.
Apart front the benefits & perks, One can also take part in a variety of adventure activities like water sports, yachting, polo, mountaineering, sailing, and other water sports/ games.
The current revolution of military affairs and the use of cutting edge technology makes a career in Indian Navy quite challenging.
- Should be flexible and able to adapt to different environments and life on sea.
- Must not be sea-sick or even home-sick as one would be spending a large chunk of his time on the sea, on the move.
- Must be social in nature.
- Should be Well disciplined, punctual and prompt.
- Must be strong headed.
- Must be well aware and knowledgeable of all work technicalities.
- Should be patient & placid.
- Must be able to work well in a team set up i.e good team-working ability.
- He should be courageous and adventurous.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to handle stress and work under pressure, sometimes.
- Must be able to plan effectively, including contingencies.
- Must be able to prioritize workloads.
- Be able to handle emergencies and tough condition by being calm and decisive.
- Must love adventure and challenging work.
- Must be good in Mathematics, would be very helpful in navigation calculations.
- Must have keen understanding and interest in latest vessel technology.
- Being decisive.
The pay scale of Naval officers are
Sub lieutenant – 15600 I.N.R to 39100 I.N.R plus grade pay of 5400 I.N.R.
Lieutenant – 15600 INR – 39100 INR plus grade pay of 6100 INR.
Lieutenant commander – 15600 INR – 39100 INR plus grade pay of 6600 INR.
Commander– 37400 INR – 67000 INR plus grade pay of 8000.
Commodore – 37400 INR – 67000 INR plus grade pay of 8900.
Captain – 37400 INR – 67000 INR plus grade pay 8700 INR.
Rear- Admiral – 37400 INR -67000 INR plus grade pay 10,000 INR.
Vice Admiral – 37400 INR – 67000 INR plus grade pay of 12,000 INR.
Admiral – 90,000 INR fixed salary.
Apart from Pay scale and grade pay, One would also be getting immense benefits, perks, various allowances, etc.
The scope of a career in Navy is very high. One can make a gratifying and satisfying career in Indian Navy as a Naval officer and One can climb up the ladder to even be a chief officer someday.
How Do I get there ?
- The candidates age must be 16.5 – 19 years.
- Should be a resident of India.
- Candidate should be an Unmarried male, For Technical cadet
- For Permanent commission, For a 10+2 National Defense academy / Indian Naval Academy cadet entry & C.D.S.E (graduate) entry, Union Public Service Commission (U.P.S.C) conducts a written examination plus an interview by Services Selection Board (S.S.B).
- For other Short Service Commission entries and other Permanent Commission entries, The selection process is done through merit only. The applications are shortlisted in accordance to the criteria set by Directorate of Manpower planning and Recruitment, & Naval headquarters.