[one_half][ads1][/one_half]Physiotherapy also known as Physical therapy, is one of the fastest growing of allied area of medicine, is the system of treatment of disability and disease using Physical exercises. From dealing with only back & neck aches, orthopedic, pediatric, neurological sciences in the past to plastic surgery, gynecology, sports medicine to general surgery, Physiotherapy has come a long way.
Physiotherapist Career helps patients maximize or regain physical functions or movements through therapies and/ or exercises using agents for therapies such as wax, electricity and heat.
If you feel emphatic about sick and ill people and have an interest serving humanity by helping in curing them and want to make a career in health care and therapy, Then Physiotherapy might turn out as a good career option for you.
Physiotherapists are an integral part of patient care, even including the ICU. It can be defined as a science which seeks to improve movement dysfunction, promote optimal health, & functioning of the human body.
The scope for Physiotherapists has increased overtime in India and this increase is only expected to move upwards from now onward.
Physiotherapist Career Job Profile
Physiotherapist’s job includes
- Organizing Physical exercise sessions.
- Providing massages and therapies using oils and stuff.
- Liaising with other healthcare professionals such as nurses & doctors.
- Collecting statistics.
- Writing reports.
- Helping patients recover from illness, injury or accident.
- Providing awareness about benefits of exercise.
- Providing advice & education about movement and exercise.
- Supervising specialist therapies such as aromatherapy, electro-therapy, & hydrotherapy.
- Developing specialized treatment programs.
- Rehabilitating ill patients.
Career in Physiotherapist Skills Required
- Enthusiasm and carrying a positive outlook towards working with patients having complex needs.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, both verbal & written.
- Being Punctual and time management skills are also required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential in this profession.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries and develop an effective working relationship between the doctor and patients.
- Carrying a responsible attitude towards personal health of oneself and that of others too.
- Ability to work well within a team setup, i.e good team working abilities.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changes in work schedules and environment.
- Must possess a basic working knowledge of IT.
- Being extremely tolerant & patient.
- One needs to be Physically healthy and fit since he/ she needs to perform a lot of manual work themselves.
- In a Govt. Hospital, An Entry level Physiotherapist may command a salary of 25,000 INR a month (pay band 2).
- In the Private sector, an Entry level physiotherapist may command anywhere between 15,000 INR to 30,000 INR a month.
- P.S – The Pay scales for Govt. sector are subjected to current revised pay scales.
The Job prospects for Physiotherapists is promising since the healthcare industry is ever expanding and growing. We can also say that this is one of those careers where the demand seems to exceed the supply. Physiotherapists can be employed in private bodies, municipal corporations and rehabilitation centers apart from Govt and private run hospitals where a Physiotherapist provides help in dealing with muscular & cerebral problems.
How Do I get there ?
- The candidate must have a minimum percentage of 50% scored in his / her 12th Science Stream.
- The candidate must have a minimum age of 17 years.
- The candidate must have opted for 12th Science stream with Physics, Chemistry & Biology combination.
- We have a Common entrance Test (C E T) for Bachelor in Physiotherapy (B P T) course.
- There are short term courses as well as degree level courses available. Degree level courses may have a duration of 3 to 4 years, with the last six months of internship.
- One must make sure the course is from a recognized, if not always reputed, University or college.