Career in Biomedical Engineering
Healthcare is better than it’s ever been. The medical field is achieving milestones that we never thought was possible. Cures are being found for diseases which incurable before. And the recovery process for many ailments is getting faster and faster. At this stage in history the medical field is booming with excitement but never needed the help of biomedical engineers as much as it does now. With the boom the medical field turned digital and became machine driven. This has led to the need for engineers to produce and maintain these machines.
With almost everything in the medical field now being determined through tests which need some sort of a machine biomedical engineers have slowly and steadily become the backbone of the healthcare industry. This a huge and challenging responsibility and hence makes biomedical engineering an interesting field to be a part of. Biomedical engineers develop and manufacture prostheses, medical equipments, diagnostic devices and drugs. Biomedical Engineering opens up career opportunities in India and abroad.
- BE Biomedical Engineering
- B-Tech Biological Sciences and Bioengineering
- B-Tech Biomedical Engineering
- ME Biomedical Engineering
- M-Tech Biological Sciences and Bioengineering
- M-Tech Biomedical Instrumentation
- B-Tech Biomedical Instrumentation
- M-Tech Biomedical Engineering
- M-Tech Bioengineering
Eligibility for B.Tech / B.E courses is 10 + 2 with Science. Selection will be based on your marks in science in the +2 examination coupled with your score in a state based CET Examination which would give you a specific rank and depending on the rank colleges admit you. Duration of the course is 4 years.
- India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Centre of Biomedical Research
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Banaras Hindu University Institute of Technology
- Anna University
- Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women
- Osmania University Biomedical Instrumentation Centre
- Jadavpur University
- Dwarkadas J. Sanghvi College of Engineering
- College of Engineering and Technology
- Gujarat University
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- Model Engineering College
Biomedical graduates can look for employment in various fields which include hospitals, medical institutions, manufacturing units, medical equipment, government agencies and pharmaceuticals. Biomedical engineers develop modified devices and provide advice on the handling and maintenance of medical equipments. Graduates can also seek employment in medical equipment companies as technical advisers. Research and development plays an important role biomedical engineering. Research related jobs can be found at research institutes, government agencies and universities in India and in other countries abroad . Major companies hiring biomedical engineers into their R&D Department include Larsen & Toubro, BPL, Wipro Medical and Siemens. Teaching jobs in Universities and colleges are also readily available and can be considered a viable career option.