Career in Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering is probably the oldest engineering field there is. It has been one of the most successful too and that is why it has managed to stay relevant this long. Mechanical engineers apply the principles of mechanics and energy to the design of machines and devices.
Mechanical engineers are primarily involved in the design of structures, operation and maintenance of mechanical systems. They design automobiles, airplanes and trains for transportation, , interplanetary space vehicles, tractors for food production, copying machines, fax machines, staplers, and mechanical pencils used in the office; and lathes, milling machines, grinders, and drill presses used in the manufacture of goods. Mechanical engineers also design and operate power plants and are concerned with the economical combustion of fuels, the conversion of heat energy into mechanical energy, and the use of the mechanical energy to perform productive work.
The Mechanical Engineering provides a firm foundation for professional engineering practice, and further study in Mechanical Engineering or many other related fields. The core subjects develop the students’ ability to apply scientific principles in the design and analysis of mechanical and energy conversion systems. Students are challenged with design problems in most of the major courses, which provide opportunities for developing creativity in solving real-world problems.
Large number of job opportunities in Automobile, Petroleum, Oil, Gas, Transport, Aircraft industries, Railways, etc. in India and abroad. Mechanical engineers have lots of scope on government sectors that include giant manufacturing industries, turbine manufacturing industries, oil & gas refineries, agro industries. With the advent of latest technological innovations, new opportunities came into existence for mechanical engineers like nanotechnology, development of composite materials, biomedical applications, environmental conservation etc. But getting acquainted with these industries will not be easy as they demand engineers who are hands-on with the latest technologies. Scope of mechanical engineering is also expanding beyond its traditional boundaries. Mechanical engineers are focussing their attention towards new areas of research such as nanotechnology, development of composite materials, biomedical applications, environmental conservation, etc.
Mechanical engineering technicians need to have excellent technical drawing and computer skills for designing machines and equipment. It requires IT, design and analytical skills together with an ability to conceptualize structures. They must have numeric skills as math’s is an important tool, an inquisitive and logical mind to make connections between ideas and handle abstract concepts, creative and innovative ideas to find solutions to problems which may need a new perspective, good practical skills to apply math and science to real problems. Organising ability, practicality, ability to get on well with people of all types, ability to keep calm under pressure and flexibly to work in a multi disciplinary area are an asset in the field.
- Certificate in Mechanic of four Wheeler
- Diploma in Mechatronics
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- (B.E) Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- (B.Tech) Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical & Automation Engineering
- (B.Tech) Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Mechatronics
- (M.E) Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Tool Design
- (M. Tech) Master of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering
To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree, the candidate must have passed the higher secondary school certificate (10+2) examination with biology, maths and chemistry. Most Universities have entrance exams of their own which you will be required to write. For IITs, It is mandatory to qualify in the Joint Entrance Examinations (JEE). The duration for the course is 4 years.
- (IIT Bombay) Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)
- (IIT Kanpur) Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras)
- (IIT Roorkee) Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS-Pilani)
- Indian Institute of Technology – Banaras Hindu University (IIT-BHU)
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Guwahati)
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- Indian School of Mines (ISM)
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- Birla Institute of Technology
- Jadavpur University (Faculty of Engineering & Technology)
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology
- PSG College of Technology
- SRM University
- PEC University of Technology
- Bengal Engineering and Science University
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology
- Thapar University
- College of Engineering Pune
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Karnataka
Mechanical engineering is one of the top most career choices made by students in India. There are a lots of career opportunities in this field for young aspirants. Graduates from this field are mainly employed in manufacturing firms. Mechanical engineers can seek employment in private or public sector industries of various types. They can also find job in government departments such as CPWD, defense, PWD, posts and telegraphs. Other sectors such as electronics, chemical, power plants, steel plants, agricultural, space research institutes, automobile and aeronautical as well as the railways, need mechanical engineers to design and maintain their machinery.
Candidates with postgraduate degree or with additional management degree can find work in executive and managerial positions. In agricultural division, mechanical engineers play a major role by establishing service centers for maintenance of pump sets, tractors, electric motors, oil engines and other agricultural equipments. Candidates who are interested in research activities can work with many public/private sectors research organizations. Professionals in this career can also opt for teaching jobs in universities and colleges. Postgraduate students with experience can also seek employment in abroad countries.