What’s the big difference between them and other thousands of Hospitals ? Have you wondered who is behind the smooth running of hospitals? “ Hospital Management ”!! It is the administrative staff that deals with day-to-day minute and complex activities of the hospital. Let’s now know more about career in “Hospital Management” because of which, today hospitals are fascinating people rather than scaring.
Introduction : Hospital Management is about handling various aspects such as purchase of equipments, human resource, promotion of health services, economic planning, budget allocation, taking care of other services like laundry, catering, pharmacy & other outdoor activities.
Why do a course in Hospital Management ?
Management is still one of the top five most-sought-after careers for ambitious youth and Health Management is among the top ten millennium professions Healthcare management is more privatized and has increased the demand not only for skillful doctors but also efficient hospital administrators. Professional courses in Hospital Management / Administration are available for both medical and non-medical persons. With increasing emphasis on quality of health care and patient satisfaction there is a tremendous need for persons with a professional qualification in Hospital Management.
Courses on offer
- Bachelor of Hospital Management ( BHA ).
- Master of Hospital Management ( MHA ).
- Mphil – Hospital & Health Management systems.
- Medical Marketing.
Some of the topics covered in the professional programme are as follows :
- Administration of Hospital & Health Care planning.
- General & Personnel Management.
- Administration of Hospital and Health care planning.
- Public Health Administration, organization & management of hospitals.
- Physiology and Medical Terminology.
- Financial Management & Inventory Control in Hospitals
- Hospital Management & Information Systems.
- Hospital Policies, Practices, Acts & Committee.
- Reports, Hospital Committee Reports, National Health Plans.
- Family & Health counseling.
- You need to be a XII pass or equivalent with Biology attaining minimum 50% marks.
- For some institutes an MBBS degree is the criteria for admission and for certain courses a Bachelor’s degree (any stream) is required.
- Eligibility criteria varies between different colleges. Kindly enquire from the colleges.
Two types of Hospital Adminstrators.
- Technical administrators – ‘Medical professionals’ fall into the category of the technical officer. Technical aspects of the hospit6al functioning such as training of staff, procuring medical supplies, recruitment, research work and others are handled by them.
- Non-technical administrators – Graduates from any stream fall into the non-technical category. They handle non-technical services like security, maintenance and managing the duties of other staff members. Most hospitals have a combination of both technical and non-technical officers.
Nature of work
- These hospital administrators work in the offices in the hospital premises itself.
- Smoot flow of all departments, supportive staff & even air-conditioning gives more comfort.
- Ned to go around the hospital to keep a check and monitor the services.
- The working hours are like any other office though the hospital functions 24 hours a day.
- Good Interpersonal & communication skills.
- Energy and stamina to work long and irregular hours.
- Intelligence – to take strategic decisions (which may empower or depower the hospital).
- Concentration & dedication to work for long hours.
- Ability to analyze the current market trends & allocate right budgets for each department.
- A futuristic attitude, positive spirits & ability to “showcase” the achievements.
- Being simple and accepting the facts before taking any decision.
- Organizing ability & ability to work as a team.
- As a Hospital Administrator you will be responsible for the overall organisation and management.
- Co-ordinate between various departments of the hospital& ensure that all the equipment is functional, that there is a smooth flow of medical supplies.
- Maintenance of standards which the hospital has been certified with.
- Deal with the employees and financial matters.
- Emphasis on quality, efficiency and cost containment. The challenge is to deliver the highest quality care at the lowest cost.
- Strive towards 100% quality in-patient care, meeting the demands & decrease resource utilization.
Challenging job opportunities in medical institutes, hospitals, nursing homes and NGOs operating in the health care sector with the increasing demand for “ Management gurus”.
As a fresher, you would be in the Rs. 8000 to Rs. 10,000 slot after which your hard work, efforts and experience will take you up the ladder.
Bachelor & Master of Hospital Management
- The All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Institute of Public Health and Hygeine, Mahipalpur, New Delhi.
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Dept. of Health Services.P.O. Box No. 8313, Mumbai.
- Armed Forces Medical College in Pune.
- Nizam Institute of Medical Science in Hyderabad.
- Kasturba Medical College in Manipal.
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Khandwa Road, Indore – 452001.
- Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration, Apollo Hospital Campus, Hyderabad.
- Dept. of Management Studies, Madurai Kamaraj University, Palkalai Nagar, Madurai.
- Swami Satyanand Institute of Management and Development Research (SSIMDR), Kapoorthalabagh, Lucknow.
- Indian Institute of Health Education and Research, Health Institute Road, Beur, Patna.
- Indian Institute of Health and Management Research, Sangarani Airport, Jaipur.
- Punjab University, Chandigarh.
- Shivaji University, Kolhapur, Maharashtra.
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Management, Management House, Kolkatta
M.Phil in Hospital & Health systems Management.
- Bombay Hospital is open to MBBS students with 1-2 year’s experience.
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, Rajasthan. ( In collaboration with Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore and Bombay Hospital, Mumbai and Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, USA )
Institute of Health Care Administration, Mangala Nagar, Chennai – 600 116.
Course : Department of Distance Education offers one year correspondence Diploma / PG Diploma / Advanced Diploma courses in a) Hospital Administration b) Hospital Personnel Management .
Note : There are many other institutes which offer correspondence course in Hospital Management. Kindly contact us for details.
- United Kingdom
Institute of Health Services Management, 39 Chalton Street, London NW11JD.
- United States of America
American College of Health Care Administrators.
325 South Patrick Street.
Alexandria, VA 22314.
Originally Written by Mr. Ameen-E-Mudassar for the Milli Gazette, Dated On 16th November 2004.