Hotel Management may be to some extent but for a student who is appearing for his / her +12 exams it something that really can change “ life” This article is written by inspiration from the “dedicated”, “ smiling” & “caring” hotel industry people who make us visit the hotels again and again. Hope this opens the eyes of the +12 students , graduates & their parents who can find their wards the “ hot cakes” of tomorrow.
Why join the Hotel Industry ???
- Hotel industry in India is growing at an exponential rate catering to over 3 million national & international tourists every year.
- Promotion of Tourism has led to a boom in hotel industry since most tourist destinations have hotels which cater to the needs of the tourists.
- Internationalization and professional requirements are increasing the demand for well qualified Hospitality Professionals in Hotel Industry.
- Hotels are the hubs for International Conferences, Political bashes, Concerts , etc. This clearly makes the presence of International standard Hotels a must in every city.
- Opportunities are prime, money is huge & public involvement in almost 90%.
Entry & Selection process
National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology Library Avenue, Pusa Complex, New Delhi 110012 (Government run) conducts a joint entrance test for 20 hotel management institution for the 5 year diploma course. This is followed by a group discussion & Interview.
Eligibility : Pass in 12th standard with at least 50%.
The Private Institutes / Hotels conduct their own entrance tests, group discussions and interviews.
Courses on the menu !!
- Craft Course in House-Keeping.
- Craft Course in Food & Beverage Service.
- Craft Course in Food Production.
- Diploma in Dietetics and Nutrition.
- Diploma Front Office and Tourism Management.
- Diploma in Teaching of hotel Management.
- Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology.
- Bachelor in Hotel Management.
- PG Diploma in Accommodation Operations & Management.
- PG Diploma in Dietetics & Hospital Service.
and many more spicy & tasty dishes (courses) !!
- Good communication skills, little bit of artistic ability and friendly tactful approach.
- You need to be people oriented and adapt to long and irregular working hours.
- Discipline, commitment and dedication along with glamour can make u the next Sanjeev Gupta.
- Be a person who can suit to various people with changing organiztions & increasing responsibilities.
The “ cooking of a student” !!!
- Students are imparted training in Front Office, Housekeeping, Food and Beverages and Kitchen.
- Students are also taught law, economics, accounts, management and a foreign language.
- The entire method of teaching is through practical learning and classroom lectures.
- The training period ( apprentice ) is offered with stipend for Government college students.
- Students are required to go for a 22-week practical training at a hotel to gain an insight view.
The different “recipes” in Hotel Management
- General Operations : This includes supervision, overall administration and financial control.
- Front Office : providing information, room reservations and taking care of check-ins and check-outs.
- Sales & Marketing : Handling travel agents, tour operators, advertising and Public Relations.
- Food & Beverage : Responsibility of preparing and serving the food in the hotel.
- House Keeping : Ensure all rooms are kept in order and all the needs of the guests are met.
- Other Departments like Engineering, Security, Finance and Personnel.
- Accounting department which handles financial transactions consists of Chief Accountant, CA’s,
Reputed Hotel’s & Institutes offering the “best” recipe.
- Taj group’s Indian Institute of Hotel Management (IIHM) at Aurangabad – Offers 5 year BA in Hotel Management jointly awarded by IIHHM and the Taj Group of Hotels in collaboration with university of Hudderfield, UK. It also offers 2 years diploma in Culinary Arts and Kitchen Administration (Chef Training).
- Merit Swiss Asian School of Hotel Management at Ooty – Offers a 5 year residential course at Ooty with an option to do the finishing semester in Switzerland and paid practicum. Course is recognized in Australia and USA for higher education.
- International Institute of Hotel Management at Kolkata – Offers 5 year integrated diploma and degree in Hotel & Catering Management (Offered in academic collaboration & association with Queen Margaret Univ. college, Edinburgh UK).
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology at Bangalore – Offers 5 years diploma in Hotel Management, Graduate degree in Hotel Management (BHM) only for wards of Army Personnel.
- Oberoi Centre for Learning and Development at Delhi is recognized by International Hotel Association in Paris – Offers 3 years Hotel Operations and Management Training Program, Senior Kitchen Training Program and 2 years House Keeping Executive Training Program.
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition at Srinagar, Chandigarh, New Delhi, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Goa, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Bhubaneshwar, Kolkata, Gurdaspur, Gwalior, Pondicherry.
Foodcraft Institute Model Industrial Training Institute Campus, Govindpura, Bhopal. There are also a plenty of private institutes all over India. But be careful before you select.
Training in Hotels as apprentice.
There are also a few hotels, which take candidates as apprentices after their 12th plus some experience in the hotel industry or after their graduation. These candidates are then given a hands-on training along with a stipend generally about Rs. 3000 per month. After the training, hich may be one to three years, the candidate is absorbed into any of the hotel’s departments.
One can find employment in the following sectors.
- Management Trainee (at entry level).
- Restaurant Management.
- Hospital administration and catering .
- Government owned catering departments, e.g. railways, armed forces etc.
- Airline catering and cabin services.
- Cruise ship hotel management.
- Self Enterprise.
- Teaching Hotel Management. Etc….
For a trainee. Starting salaries range between Rs 4,000 to Rs 7,500. After successful completion of training, salaries range between Rs 6,000 to Rs 12,000. Later as a chef, one may get Rs 40,000 a month. !
Originally Written by Mr. Ameen-E-Mudassar for the Milli Gazette, Dated On 16December 2004.