A Pharmacology is to prepare, mix, compound or dispense drugs & medicines, ointments, powder, pills, tablets & injections on the prescription of a medical practitioner, dentist or veterinarian. In detail, they are concerned with production of pharmaceutical products, development of the methods or processes of production and quality control.
Those in research concern themselves with synthesis of new drugs (what is commonly referred to as molecules), new processes, clinical testing of the effects of such drugs on animals and humans, and obtaining the required License from the drug control authorities.
A pharmacist is required to explain the mode and precautions regarding the use of medicines dispensed in a hospital pharmacy, prepare special formulations normally not available in the market, assist the physician in rendering necessary information about various drugs, their contra-indications, incompatibility etc.
There are over 225 programs in Pharmacy conducted by different universities in India. The main courses in Pharmacy are the 2 years Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm), 4 years Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm), 2 years Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm) and Ph.d programmes.
Pharmacology Skills Required :
Personal Qualities : In order to be a successful pharmacist, one must have a liking for science particularly life sciences and medicine. An ability to put hard work, strong logical thinking, patience, a sense of responsibility, patient counseling skills are some of the qualities needed for pharmacist. Strong analytical abilities and strong academic foundations are needed in the field of research. To be a successful medical representative, one needs to have good communication skills and a flair for convincing people, Retail pharmacists need to have business skills together with good product knowledge.
Eligibility & Admission Process :
For admission in to bachelor’s degree, the candidate must have passed the higher secondary school certificate (12th Std.) examination with science subject such as (biology, maths and chemistry). The duration for the bachelor degree course is 4 years and for diploma course is 2 years.
Pharmacology Colleges :
- AL – Ameen College of Pharmacy, Hosur road, Near lalbagh, Main Gate, Bangalore – 560027.
- Dr. Thimmegowda Kengal College of Pharmacy, Channapatna, Bangalore – 571501.
- Government College of Pharmacy, Lalbagh road, Bangalore – 560027.
- Gautham College of Pharmacy, Behind P & T Quarters, Sultanpalya, Bangalore – 560027.
- MMU College of Pharmacy, K K Doddi, Ramanagaram – 560027.
- PES College of Pharmacy, Sri Kumaraswamy Temple Street Hanuman Nagar, Bangalore – 560050.
- Sri Siddaganga College of Pharmacy, B H Road, Tumkur – 572102.
- St. John’s Pharmacy College, Vijayanagar II, Bangalore – 560040.
- Visveswarapura Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, 25th Main Road, 25th Cross, Bangalore – 560070.
- Vutkoor Laxmaiah College of Pharmacy, Raichur – 584101.
- HKE Society College of Pharmacy, Gulbarga – 585105.
- Karnatak B Pharmacy College, Bidar – 585401.
- Luqman College of Pharmacy, Jewargi Road, Gulbarga – 585102.
- RRK Society College of Pharmacy, Naubad, Bidar – 585402.
- SCS College of Pharmacy, Harapanahalli, Bellary – 583131.
- KLE Society College of Pharmacy, Campus JNMC, Belgaum – 590010.
- National College of Pharmacy, Balaraj Urs road, Shimoga – 577201.
- College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kasturba Medical College Manipal – 576119.
- Nitte Gulabi Shetty Memorial, Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Deralakatte Mangalore, Dakshina Kannada – 574160.
- SJM College of Pharmacy, JMIT Campus, Chitradurga – 577502.
- Bapuji Pharmacy College, Davangere – 577004.
- SET College of Pharmacy, Vidyagiri, Dharwad – 580004.
- College of Pharmacy, Vidyanagar, Hubli – 580031.
- Al Falah College of Pharmacy, Amargol, Hubli – 580029.
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Shivarathreeshwara nagar Mysore – 570015.
- Dayanand Sagar College of Pharmacy, Kanakpura road, Bangalore – 560078.
- GKM College of Pharmacy, Karnapura Road Bangalore – 560078.
- KLE Society’s College of Pharmacy, Manhalli Road, Bidar – 585403.
- KLE Society’s College of Pharmacy, Vidyanagar, Hubli – 580031.
- MS Ramaiah College of Pharmacy, MSR Nagar, Bangalore – 560054.
- Directorate of Medical Education, Anand Rao Circle Bangalore – 560009.
- Maratha Medical College of Pharmacy, 1007, Malmaruti Extn., Belgaum – 590016.
- Milind Institute of Pharmacy, Jayachamaraja Nagar, Bangalore – 560086.
Job Prospects & Salaries :
In the present world there are number of pharmaceuticals companies, hospitals and nursing homes all over the globe exhibits rapid growth of the pharmacy sector. Pharmacy offers sensible job opportunities for their graduates in terms of business or by opening their own business.Candidates can open their own druggists shop or a pharmacy medical shop after completion of their degree or diploma program in pharmacy and after registering with a pharmacy council.
The majority of the job opportunities for a graduate in this field are available in a research institute, government department, universities, pharmaceutical industry and teaching hospitals. Doctor of philosophy and Master of pharmacy graduates are usually engaged in the research field for developing new drugs and analyzing them for strength and purity. A number of MNC’s such as Smith Kline Beecham, E Merck and Hoechst work together with top Indian companies to develop numerous new drugs for the welfare of people.
Some Job Types :
- Data Manager.
- Customs Officer.
- Drug Inspector.
- Analytical Chemist.
- Regulatory Manager.
- Medical Transcriptionist.
Pharmacy / Pharmacology is a highly reputed job. In this field, monthly salary is according to the jobs, the pharmacist have taken up. The average starting salary for a pharmacist is around Rs 4,000. Research Scientists Rs.10,000 – 40,000 per month, Medical Representative Rs. 5,000 – 10,000 per month + incentives, Manufacturing Pharmacists Rs. 5,000 upwards, Hospital Pharmacists Rs.3,000 – 5,000 per month, Government Jobs Rs. 2,500 – 3,500 per month (basic) along with Contributory Provident Fund, D.A., Insurance, Medical reimbursement, and other allowances and benefits as per government rules.