Physical and occupational therapy are included in rehabilitation therapy. Physical therapy concentrates on increasing functions in correct areas of the body by treatment, physical exercises and tissue manipulation. On other hand, occupational therapy concentrates on techniques that allow patients in recovering back to work and to function effectively in normal daily routines.
Skills Required :
Personnel attributes :
One of the chief personnel attribute required for rehabilitation career is the ability to get along well with other people and being good to them. A rehab professional should have an affectionate nature, patience, kindness, gentleness, genuine concern without losing objectivity, a practical approach and an encouraging and positive attitude. Rehabilitation counselors work with many different kinds of clients and must be able to see situations and problems from their client’s point of view. They must be both patient and persistent. Professionals in rehabilitation services should be able to gain the trust of others easily and to think logically. They must communicate well with people, particularly people under a great deal of stress. Rehabilitation service professionals often have to motivate their clients as well as influence people who can assist and support their clients.
Courses Offered :
Few courses offered under Rehabilitation
- Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling.
- Diploma in Special Education (Hearing Impaired).
- Diploma in Special Education (Visually Handicapped).
- Diploma in Special Education (Mental Retardation).
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) Physical Therapy.
- Bachelor in Mental Retardation.
- Bachelor of Education (Hearing Impaired).
- Bachelor of Education (Visually Handicapped).
- Bachelor of Special Education (Hearing Impairment).
- Master of Rehabilitation Therapy.
- Master of Occupational Therapy- Rehabilitation.
- Master of Science in Rehabilitation Science.
Subject / Syllabus :
Bachelor in Rehabilitation Therapy Syllabus
The following are study related subjects :-
Module 1 (Core Course 1)
- Human Anatomy.
- Human Development.
- Psychology, Sociology & Counseling.
Module 2 (Core Course 2)
- Disability & Rehabilitation.
- Research Methodology.
Module 3 (Loco-motors Disability)
- Introduction to Disability.
- Physical Agents & Exercise Therapy.
- Therapeutic Activities, Functional Training, Aids & Appliances.
Module 4 (Hearing & Speech Impairments)
- Audiology & Aural Rehabilitation.
- Speech & Language.
- Management of Speech & Language Disorders.
Module 5 (Visual Impairments & Rehabilitation)
- Eye & Eye Care.
- Psycho-social Implications of Blindness and Visual Impairment.
- Education of Visually Impaired & Low Vision Children.
Module 6 (Mental Retardation & Learning Disability)
- Mental Retardation & Learning Disability.
- Assessment and Curriculum Development.
- Management of Children with Mental Retardation and Children with Learning Disability.
Module 7 (Multiple Disability)
- Rehabilitation Therapy, Cerebral Palsy and other Neurological conditions.
- Needs Assessment Persons with Disability, Family and Community.
- Holistic Approaches to working with Persons with Multiple Disability.
Eligibility & Admission Process :
For admission into bachelor’s degree a student must pass 10+2 with science subjects. The selection is usually made on the basis of entrance examinations conducted by the institute / university concerned. The duration for bachelor’s degree course is 3-4 years.
Top Colleges Offering UG/PG/Other Courses
Rehabilitation therapy courses are offered by several well-known institutes in India including
- National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped (N.I.M.H), Secunderabad.
- Institute for the Physically Handicapped, New Delhi.
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mumbai.
- Christian Medical College, Tamil Nadu.
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal.
- All India Institute of Speech & Hearing, Mysore.
- Ali Ya-var Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, Mumbai; All India Institute of Medical Sciences (A.I.I.M.S), New Delhi.
- Institute of Speech and Hearing, Bangalore and Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh.
Job Prospects & Salaries :
There are various sectors where rehabilitation therapists can find job opportunities. They can find jobs in government or private hospitals, private clinics and health care centers. They can also work with some polyclinics, psychiatric institutes and rehabilitation centers. Job opportunities are available in some special schools, residential care facilities, adult day care programs, and community mental health centers.
Some may choose to work in an NGO for rehabilitating children, disabled and elderly people.They can also work independently to offer home healthcare facility. They also have the option to open their own rehabilitation clinics.
Pay package :
Rehabilitation therapists have quite attractive earning in this field. They also have alternative options to earn attractive salaries by working full-time or part-time. Fresher in this field start earning from Rs.8,000 to Rs.10,000 per month. However with the increase in number of years of experience in this field the remuneration also increases. The pay packages are quite higher in the sector of private hospitals and clinics.