Mining Engineering Scope :
Job opportunities in India and abroad as Mining Engineer, Petroleum Engineer, Mine Ventilation engineer, Production Manager / Mine Manager in Surface mines, Underground coal mines, Mine Planning Engineering, Operation Engineer, Mining Investment Analyst,etc.
Skills Required :
Personnel attributes : The ability to think analytically, a capacity for detail, and the ability to work as part of a team are the main requisites for one who wants to be in this career. Good communication skills are also important. Mining engineering as a career combines several areas of expertise. In addition to specialist mining knowledge and engineering expertise, a mining engineer needs strong management skills, people skills and a sound understanding of financial and business principles.
Courses Offered :
The following courses are offered in Mining Engineering:
- BE Mining Engineering.
- B Tech Mining Engineering.
- Diploma in Mining and Mine Surveying Engineering.
- ME Mining Engineering.
- M Tech Mining Engineering.
- PG Research Programme on Materials Resource Engineering.
- PhD Mining Engineering.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mineral Engineering.
Eligibility & Admission Process :
For admission in a bachelor’s degree, the candidate must have passed the higher secondary school certificate (10+2) examination with science subject such as biology, maths and chemistry. For I.I.Ts, It is mandatory to qualify in the Joint Entrance Examinations (J.E.E). The duration for the course is 4 years.
- Dr. T. Thimmaiah Institute of Technology, Kolar (Karnataka).
- M.B.M. Engineering College (Mugniram Bangur Memorial Engineering College), Jodhpur (Rajasthan).
- Anna University : College of Engineering, Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
- Bengal Engineering and Science University, Howrah (West Bengal).
- Government Engineering College, Bilaspur (Ch) (Chhattisgarh).
- Jai Narain Vyas University : Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, Jodhpur (Rajasthan).
- Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology : College of Technology and Engineering, Udaipur(Rajasthan).
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering, Research and Technology, Chandrapur (Maharashtra).
- Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur (Maharashtra).
Job Prospects & Salaries :
A person who has pursued course in the field of mining engineering can be employed in various departments of the mining industry, including engineering, operations, sales and management. Mines, Minerals Development Corporation and Mining Department of Union and State Government are always in need of skilled mining engineers. One can even work as mining manager, mine designer, rock engineering, mining economics, geology project design or consulting engineer. Mining engineers can also opt to work with geologists in order to explore and assess new ore deposits or conduct research to create new and effective mining procedures and techniques.
Mining engineering is among the most lucrative career options and growth opportunities in India. Graduates after completion of their course in this field can seek employment in various departments of the mining industry such as operations, sales, Management and Engineering. Mines & Minerals Development Corporation and Mining Department of Union and State Government are constantly in need of experienced mining engineers. The width of subjects covered in the mining curriculum provides additional opportunities in allied fields.
Individual can also work as consulting engineer, rock engineering, mining manager and mine designer. Mining engineers can also choose to work with geologists in order to explore and assess new ore deposits or conduct research to create new and effective mining procedures and techniques. Professionals in this career can also opt for teaching jobs in universities and colleges. Private sector firms, as well as state and central organizations, rely on the services of mining engineers. In addition, one can get job in government sector concerned with mines.
Some job profiles :
- Senior Mining Engineer.
- Short Term Mine Planner.
- Mining safety engineers.
- Coal Preparation Plant Manager.
- Mine Safety and Health Specialist.
- Process Plant Maintenance Foreman.
- Extraction Maintenance Superintendent.
- The remuneration of a professional mainly depends on the factors such as the company, job profile, qualification, skills and work experience.
- Students holding a bachelor’s degree in mining engineering can expect income around Rs. 20, 000 to Rs. 25,000 every month in the beginning stage.
- A person with higher qualification degree or 2 to 3 years of experience can expect higher salary.
- Graduate trainees from reputed colleges get higher salary as compared to other engineering colleges.